Aizawl (ZoramObserver.com): Dr. Lalbuatsaiha Ralte, owner and founder of Greenwood Hospital – the first private hospital in Mizoram – passed away on Thursday morning.
He was 79.
Dr. Ralte was suffering from pneumonia and Alzheimer for a number of years, family sources said.
He is survived by wife Zirtiri Vanchhawng and their two children. His mortal remains were laid to rest at Aizawl’s Zarkawt cemetery today.
Dr. Ralte was the first among the Mizos to be recognised as a Member of the Royal College of Gynaecologists & Obstetricians (MRCOG). He worked in Australia from 1974 to 1991 and on his return to Mizoram in 1992, he stated Greenwood Hospital at Bawngkawn.
Dr. Ralte was born in Sialhau village on August 21, 1938 between Sawikunga Ralte and Zanghaki Khiangte. In 1953, they migrated to Manipur and they settled in Lamka for years.
- Primary school: Aizawl Boys ME
- Continued education in Manipur and Shillong
- Completed MBBS at Bankura Medical College in in 1968.
- Worked as Registrar in Safdarjung Hospital, New Delhi from 1969-72.
- Went to work in Australia in 1972.
- Worked in New South Wales and Melbourne till 1974.
- Between 1981-1991 he worked as a Private Medical practitioner at Kerang, Australia.
- Completed MRCOG, London in 1984.
Family: Tied the knot with Zirtiri Vanchhawng d/o Sub Laltuma Vanchhawng on December 11, 1971 at Presbyterian Church, Lamka, Manipur.
Children: 1. Zodi Ralte (Zodinmawii), Melbourne Australia; 2. Vanessa Ralte (Lalrotluangi) w/o David Mathew Binder, London.